Member Controls

Goto page Previous     1 2 3 4 ... 7 8 9 10      Next
English Discussions > Old release - outdated: v.0.64 - 23 dec 2007
Inge JonesLink to postposted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:47 pm

It has been protocol so far to not overwrite anything under \Data as that is considered a safe place for users to place their preferred data.

It could be a possible idea to keep a "default" version of the configuration files somewhere in the SimPE folders, so that a user could choose to overwrite his own if he wanted to.  We could provide a menu option for resetting the configuration perhaps, to save having to tell people how to manipulate their files?

gayle_afcbLink to postposted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:52 pm

Thank you very much Inge, Peter and Numenor for getting this to us - what a wonderful Christmas present for us creators :rah:

The hard work that you guys have put into this is very much appreciated. Thanks as ever to Quaxi and we all look forward to his return :D 

NumenorLink to postposted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:17 pm

Inge Jones wrote:

It has been protocol so far to not overwrite anything under \Data as that is considered a safe place for users to place their preferred data.

Whenever needed, SimPE deletes the "folders.xreg" file by itself (warning the user with a message like "SimPE needs to reset your File Table"). This happens when SimPe is first run after the list of installed EPs (expansions.xreg) changes. I think that this time the "new" expansions.xreg is NOT seen as changed, and therefore SimPE doesn't reset the file table. We can force SimPE doing it anyway (by deleting the folders.xreg); this shouldn't be seen, in my opinion, as an infringment to our protocol.

dragonfly2004Link to postposted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:41 pm

If it is of any interest, this latest version (0.64) is working on my quadcore PC under Vista 64 bit.

So far the only (minor) problem I found was some words are partly obscured in the "Plugin View" pane, but this may be because of my monitor settings.

And a big "THANK YOU" to the SimPE team!

Frank 

maxonLink to postposted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:46 am

Thanks Numenor - that's great.  Thanks also to Quaxi and Mr Jones.
wes_hLink to postposted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:34 am

I installed this, and it works so far for everything I do, which isn't very much.

Th 064 installer decided to uninstall my version 0.62, despite the fact that it is in a different directory, Simpe062 versus the SimPE064 I made told the new version to be installed in.

It didn't delete all the subdirectories, but did delete all the program files and plugins.

Is this by design?

How then would I keep the old version for test? (I do have the old download package).

The QA versions were easy, I just extracted all using WinRar, and never had conflicts, although double-click only works on a single version.

The installer seems to know better than I do what I want.

<* Wes *>

niolLink to postposted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:50 am

Inge,

Thanks. :) I've got it now.

Numenor, Inge, Peter, PLJones, etc

Thanks for the new version... :)

wes_h,

May just make a compressed copy of the older version.

May clear up the cache first though for better resultant compressibility.  :)

Then, may just decompress the older version after the new version installation. 

That's just my normal way to deal with different versions of progs.

Simpe is working well in this case without the need to hunt down potentially installed shared system files.

AngeLink to postposted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:12 pm

Hi everyone,

First, thank all of you for that BV compatible version !

A few days ago, I have tested (for my french tuto) one of the "beta" available on  PLJones' forum.

So i've noticed that some of the info between the beta and the released one are missing.

- the pics from the BV section

=> no more pics

I've also noticed with that "beta" that some other info are missing.

IE : the badges info

=> i was looking in that section to see if it's possible to add with SimPE the local dance thing and other local BV thing but can't found the data there.

Maybe it's missing or maybe it's me ...  I dunno. oO' 

But the only thing I know is how long it took to all of you to code and release it so I'll be patient (again) and wait.

NumenorLink to postposted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:50 pm

wes_h wrote:
Th 064 installer decided to uninstall my version 0.62, despite the fact that it is in a different directory, Simpe062 versus the SimPE064 I made told the new version to be installed in.

It didn't delete all the subdirectories, but did delete all the program files and plugins.

Is this by design?

Wes, v.064 is not intended to be a QA version, but a "major release", made available to the wide public (as much as the "releases" that Quaxi used to make when a QA was considered definitive).

Therefore, the installer works just like Quaxi's "official release" installers: it uninstalls the previous "official releases" installed via installer (and not via a manual unzip, like the QA versions).

This is needed in order to avoid version conflicts in the standard users' systems (who usually don't perform a "clean install"). Moreover, the installer is used to associate the file extensions with SimPE, and obviously the association can be done with only one SimPe version at time.

Personally, I do have several different SimPe versions (currently, 5, but the number may vary...), but only 1 is the "official" one, installed via installer. All the others are installed via manual unzip, and therefore they are not touched by newer installations.  

In order to make an "installer" version a "static" undeletable version, you can follow Niol's suggestion (zip the entire SimPE version, uninstall, and unpack the zip again), or just delete the unins001.exe from the SimPE folder, thus preventing any further uninstallation.

The installer seems to know better than I do what I want.

I'm sorry, I understand what you mean. But please consider that we have to find a balance between flexibility (appreciated by power users) and ease of use (appreciated by standard users).

If you are interested in the zipped version (simple RAR, without installer) of the current release, you can download it HERE .

StormwenchLink to postposted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:45 am

On my machine that has all the ep's through BV and sp's through Teen Stuff I get a "WARNING" popup:

SimPE detected a new Expansion Pack for "The Sims 2"

This SimPE Version does only work with games up to "The Sims 2 - Bon Voyage".  Newer Game Files might cause Errors when opened with this Version of SimPE! 

(For more information, please visit http://sims.ambertation..de/en/).

Run SimPE anyway?

I have Teen Stuff which being release post Bon Voyage is installed after I already had BV installed and these must be the game files that are being detected but I thought this was a version that included Teen Stuff.

My first install of this version was done without removing the 62 + QA versions and then as a clean install by removing them  first.  Both still give me this error.  Opening up preferences shows that there is a link to the BV system folder under EP but Teen Stuff is not listed in the SP list.  Pet Stories is listed.

Goto page Previous     1 2 3 4 ... 7 8 9 10      Next

viewthread, 4763, 2