Member Controls

Goto page Previous     1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10      Next
English Discussions > Old release - outdated: v.0.64 - 23 dec 2007
katgib13Link to postposted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:04 am

Hmmm...when I click the link to download the newest version, it tells me Page Not Found. I've been trying to get it to come up for about 2 hours. Help!

While I'm here, I'd like to thank you guys for taking the time to get this version completed and released.

katgib13Link to postposted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:04 am

Oops...it posted twice. Sorry about that.Frown

pljonesLink to postposted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:37 am

katgib13 wrote:

Hmmm...when I click the link to download the newest version, it tells me Page Not Found. I've been trying to get it to come up for about 2 hours. Help!

While I'm here, I'd like to thank you guys for taking the time to get this version completed and released.

Try this address:

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/simpe/SimPE-Setup-0.64.exe?use_mirror=auto_select

quaxiLink to postposted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:19 pm
Avator for quaxi

I just checked, and it worked.

Anyone else having that problem. 

StormwenchLink to postposted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:10 pm

Numenor wrote:

Stormwench - Please run this test for me:

- Unpack the rar containing the v. 064c (LINK) into an empty folder.

- Run SimPe by double-clicking on the SimPE.exe file and close it as soon as it finishes loading.

- Go to the Data folder and put in a zif the files expansions.xreg and folders.xreg, and post the zip here: I need to take a look at them.

It would be even more useful, if you export the Registry key HKey_Local_Machine/Software/EA Games and include it in the zip.

I actually think this maybe an issue directly related to Vista.  I have drug out the XP machines and installed it on 2 with that OS with no issues, 1 machine had no eps but BV and TSS; the other was only missing Season.  I continue to have the same issue with it not seeing that TSS is installed no matter how I install it including just a clean rar unarchive.   on the Vista machine TSS was the last ep/sp installed.

I included the files you wanted as well as a ss of the warning I get.

PS:  I finally fixed it so that it will see TSS but its essentially a work around.  If you set SimPE.exe to Run as Adminstrator (not a great thing to force a program to do as it does bypass permissions and protections) it will correctly read the registry and see TSS; and no warning pops up.  It would be nice if it could run without Admin credentials on Vista.  Running as compatiable to XP does not solve the warning issue - it needs to run as Admin in both cases.  At least it sees TSS, although setting SimPE.exe to run as adminstration brings up premissions popups asking to be allowed to run that way - which means if you don't have admin privs it will not run at all and of course there are still popups that you have to 'okay' which are as much of a nuisance as the warnings - if not more so, but at least it will show TSS.

ClipAttachments:
data.rar (43.85 kb, 1072 downloads)

StormwenchLink to postposted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:17 pm

pljones wrote:
Muppetmad wrote:

Done that quite a few times, but it still hasn't worked. Frown

Edit: Done it! Thank you so much! 

Bit late now but I reckon running "simpe.exe -modernpreset" might have fixed you up...

Unfortuately this did not help.  After running it, I still got the warning, then a about it changed to modern and did I still wish to run it - said yes to both.  SimPE opened twice.  Closed them both, started it again and the warning still appeared

quaxiLink to postposted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:36 pm
Avator for quaxi

When starting again, do not use -modernpreset, simply call SimPE.exe, with no parameters.
StormwenchLink to postposted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:49 pm

quaxi wrote:
When starting again, do not use -modernpreset, simply call SimPE.exe, with no parameters.

Yes, I did not use the parameters the second time ; but the warning persisted that said I did not have TSS installed. 

As I mentioned in the post to Numenor I found the work around that solves the issue, running simpe.exe as adminstrator (running the install as admin or not does not make a difference) but whether I install by the setup.exe or just unarchive the .rar the warning persisted until I set the simpe.exe under compatibility to run as administrator.  Setting the shourtcut in the Quick bar to run as administrator has mixed had mixed results but as long as the .exe is set to run as administrator SimPE no longer warns that TSS is installed but SimPE only handles upto BV.  This is obviously a Vista issue and you have not heard uch about it - probably because not many people are running Vista yet.

The downside to this work around is if you do not have admin credentials and Vista asks for permission (each time you load SimPE) you cannot grant it to run as admin and it will not run at all.  This is not an issue for me but could be for people running it on Vista that don't have admin rights.

katgib13Link to postposted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:18 pm

pljones wrote:
katgib13 wrote:

Try this address:

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/simpe/SimPE-Setup-0.64.exe?use_mirror=auto_select

This  one worked! Thank you! :)

Quaxi, last night, I finally got the link to work but when I tried to use the Wizard, all that would show up was the Holiday and Celebration Pack items. I just tried it again with the link that pljones gave me and everything is there now. It might be something on my end. I've been having minor PC problems lately.

Thank you to everyone who works on SimPE.

NumenorLink to postposted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:08 am

Stormwench - Thanks for the files, though you seem to have found the solution by yourself. Personally, I've turned the UAC off the first time I ran Vista  Laughing  though it's not something I'd tell people to do. However, I always believed that SimPe had to be run as administrator, and your test proves it once again. I'm no programmer myself, but I think that there is no way to "bypass" the limits and blocks that Vista creates to standard non-admin users (otherwise, malicious programs could bypass them as well.

At first, I was thinking to modify the installer to automatically set the "Run as administrator" option, but this is definitely something that the user should do himself (unless we want to hear Wes_h complaining again about the installer knowing what to do better than him, lol!)

Goto page Previous     1 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10      Next

viewthread, 4763, 6