Member Controls

Goto page Previous     1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10      Next
English Discussions > Old release - outdated: v.0.64 - 23 dec 2007
StormwenchLink to postposted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:39 am

It probably should be listed somewhere easy to find, as a known issue, so users will understand the way to work around the issue. 

Vista users can be given rights to install programs without having full admin credentials so if the installer was to set the program to run as admin when the user goes to run Simpe they will be faced with Vista asking them to allow the program to run, and not having the credentials, it will fail, which would be a much bigger problem.  They would not be able to change the 'run as administrator' setting and essentialy be blocked from using simpe at all. 

Vista users without admin rights will probably just suffer the warning issue.

NumenorLink to postposted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:17 pm

I tried to install SimPE on an "standard user" account, and it tells me that in order to install it I need admin privileges. I can't even activate the option "run as administrator" in the options for the installer exe.

What type of user account did you use to install and run SimPE, when you got that message about the "newer expansion"? Wasn't it a "standard user" account? If so, how could you run the installer?

I remember when I had the UAC still active, that the option "run as administrator" and the warnings about running programs with admin proviledges were visible only when using an Admin account (but with the limitations of the UAC). I never used a "standard user" account, until today.

While XP has only Users and Administrators, Vista seems to have Users, "limited" Administrators (a sort of Power Users) and "full" Administrators (disabling the UAC). 

StormwenchLink to postposted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:56 pm

Numenor wrote:

I tried to install SimPE on an "standard user" account, and it tells me that in order to install it I need admin privileges. I can't even activate the option "run as administrator" in the options for the installer exe.

What type of user account did you use to install and run SimPE, when you got that message about the "newer expansion"? Wasn't it a "standard user" account? If so, how could you run the installer?

I remember when I had the UAC still active, that the option "run as administrator" and the warnings about running programs with admin proviledges were visible only when using an Admin account (but with the limitations of the UAC). I never used a "standard user" account, until today.

While XP has only Users and Administrators, Vista seems to have Users, "limited" Administrators (a sort of Power Users) and "full" Administrators (disabling the UAC). 

Pretty much what happened when I went back later today and played with it as user.

I am/was a full admin on the machine I installed it on so that allowed the installation.  But, Vista is weird to this extent:  Even if you are a full adminstrator a program does not run as an administrator (the program itself having the rights of an admin) unless you specifically check that box in the compatability tab of properties or run it by right clicking and specifically choosing 'run as administrator'.  Even with the max access, where you can disable UAC you still have to tell Vista to run the program as an admistrator and then allow it to - which you can only do as an Admin.

I got the error after installing it as a full administrator (both when I just ran the installer, told the installer to run as admin, when I unpacked the rar into a clean directory) - unless the simPE.exe was set to "Run as Adminstrator" and I had admin rights to allow that when it strated to run then I got the error.

Standard users are almost out of luck.

A standard user's permissions can be set so that they can install software on a machine, yet not have any other admin rights, which I tried and SimPE did install that way.  Either way, unless I could choose 'Run as Admin' it ran as if I was a standard user and hence the error I got.  A standard user, with no special privilenges can neither install nor run SimPE on Vista. 

This 'issue' or 'issues' probably would only effect users in certain cases, hopefully a low number of simPE users; such as in a school lab where they can install their software but do not have admin rights otherwise, then they will run with errors such as I had or it will not run at all; at home on a family computer where they do not have admin access and may or may not have privs to install software or on some Vista configurations where permissions are handled and set via network policy.   So users with Vista at school, possibly at home or on an intranet could/will have some level of problem.

I don't believe that even if you told the installation to set 'Run As Administrator' it would do that unless the user was an admin and ran the setup.exe buy right clicking and telling it to run as administrator.  If the installer was able to do that without the user having more then installation rights the program would fail when the users went to start it because you have to allow "Run as Adminstrator" each time the program tries to  with that option checked. 

Someone once said that we would make things so safe that we would no longer be able to use them - which would make us doublely safe.

pljonesLink to postposted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:02 pm

Are you installing under Program Files?  Have you tried installing under a non-system path?  Does that affect UAC at all?
StormwenchLink to postposted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:00 pm

None that I could determine - although I maight not have tried every setup issue.  This happened when installed in program file, into an empty folder on the C:\  drive and into an alternate HD.  The only way to run the installation is to have admin rights.

Now the data can be 'unpacked' into any directory whether in program files or at the root or in another HD as long as the users had rights to create a directory.  Although, even with the data there the game will not run as adminstrator or by a standard user without having errors.  Even when logged on in the machines Admin accout (rather then my user account with admin rights) the run as administrator needs o be checked and 'allowed' to run each time that SimPE is started.

I am still trying some way that a standard user can get around this without changing their access rights, but simPE's need to run as administrator.

LilindaLink to postposted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:24 am

Ok, I'm getting a little depressed over here... I always used SimPE, but suddenly it was crashing even before I loaded the neighborhood... But I was running the 0.62 version, and I think it is not compatible with Bon Voyage, H&M and Teen Style, so I uninstalled and downloaded this new 0.64 version.

Ok, but every time I double-click the setup file, appears one error message, telling me this:

The setup files are corrupted. Please obtain a new copy of the program.

I tried everything. But it always goes to this message. I erased the setup file and downloaded again. Am I the only one with this problem? I thought it was my computer, but the 0.62 version setup is working!

And before someone asks, I do have .NET Framework.

Please help me!

And Happy 2008! :D

StormwenchLink to postposted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:12 am

62 does not work with BV and TSS, more in the sense that it will not allow you to create or open BV/TSS objects.

Have you tried downloading the setup files again? And making sure you are installing using the correct setup?

You could also try this: 

- Unpack the rar containing the v. 064c (LINK) into an empty folder.

- Run SimPe by double-clicking on the SimPE.exe file.

What OS are you running (Windows XP, Vista, 2000)?

LilindaLink to postposted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:19 am

I'm running Windows XP.

But hey, it WORKED! I downloaded the rar 0.64 version and it is working! Thank you so much Stormwench! Now I can use SimPE again :D

StormwenchLink to postposted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:55 pm

Couple of more issues with SimPE .64c.

No thumbnails or little icon pictures of sims2 objects are showing in OW.  Every item has the large red O with the line through it, and when the object is clicked on no thumbnail appears in the selected producrs window.  I posted about this in the last QA version when Quaxi had asked if these were showing or not due to a change that had been made.  I guess the change was not reverted or the issue was not fixed.  It does not prevent OW from functioning but is pretty frustrating if you are trying to hunt an object without knowing its in game name  (knowing the file name, of course, is no help until you are into the fix integrity part of the OW cloning process).  This is happening both with the VISTA and the XP OS, althought with XP base objects do have thumbnails/icons - but just none from any of the eps/sps while on vista absolutely no objects have them.

When 'starting' OW and having it load objects on VISTA this takes a very very long time (much like OW did back many versions ago).  Its pretty fast on the XP box but takes almost 3 times as long as XP loads them.  I am also finding some objects in OW on the XP machine that do not show up on the copy running on VISTA.

TrifLink to postposted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:28 pm

My issue of the story files being selected with everything else is Vista related, not my altering files, or UAC though. Do not know why... I also notice a difference in the relation editor. Not necessarily a problem, but is different now. The self relationship is now un-grayed, meaning you can make changes to the top part of it. What this means is if you use the max relations to all and watch it cycle through the relations you will see the dip down to 0 on that one. As I said not really a problem, but different. I watch this to see if any unwanted relationships (taxi driver etc.) have crept in. I am probably the only person on earth who would notice.
Goto page Previous     1 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10      Next

viewthread, 4763, 7